CSL Behring’s parent company CSL Limited (ASX:CSL) reaffirms the companies’ commitment to responsible business practice and sustainable development in its new corporate responsibility report – Our Corporate Responsibility 2013. The report details CSL’s performance across key corporate responsibility priority areas for the period July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013.
The priority areas reflect CSL Behring and CSL Limited’s core values, including research into new and improved medicines, ensuring the safety and quality of a broad portfolio of therapies, providing a positive and healthy work environment for employees, behaving responsibly in the global marketplace, and providing charitable support for communities in need around the world and minimizing the environmental impacts of its operations.
“At CSL we are passionate about innovation and providing a safe and consistent supply of life-enhancing and lifesaving therapies around the world,” said Paul Perreault, CEO and Managing Director of CSL Limited. “We are equally diligent about conducting our business responsibly and to actively contributing to the well-being of our communities. I am pleased to introduce Our Corporate Responsibility 2013 report, which illustrates our ongoing commitment with tangible examples.”
Highlights of CSL’s economic, social and environmental performance include:
- Research and Development investment of US$427 million, with more than 35 clinical studies in operation across our pipeline. We also achieved 17 product registrations or indications for serious diseases.
- Economic contribution direct to local economies of US$4.7 billion, including global community investment of US$36 million to patient, biomedical and local communities.
- More than 180 regulatory audits of our manufacturing facilities with no impact on our product marketing licenses. Efforts to harmonize safety and quality processes across the organization continue.
- Growth of 7% in the total workforce. Incidents involving medical treatment rose by 41%, but recorded rates of lost time injury frequency and days lost frequency reduced by 8% and 74% respectively.
- Minor increases in absolute measures across our environmental impacts, in part due to capacity expansion initiatives, however we achieved modest reductions in the amount of energy, greenhouse gas and water used to process each unit of plasma.
- Release of an updated edition of our Code of Responsible Business Practice in 15 languages.
About CSL Limited
Headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, CSL Limited (AUX:CSL) is a global biopharmaceutical company that develops, manufactures and markets biotherapies to prevent and treat rare and serious human diseases. CSL owns major facilities in Australia, Germany, Switzerland and the US, and employs over 11,000 people in more than 25 countries. For more information visit www.csl.com.au.
About CSL Behring
CSL Behring is a leader in the plasma protein therapeutics industry. Committed to saving lives and improving the quality of life for people with rare and serious diseases, the company manufactures and markets a range of plasma-derived and recombinant therapies worldwide.
CSL Behring therapies are used around the world to treat coagulation disorders including hemophilia and von Willebrand disease, primary immune deficiencies, hereditary angioedema and inherited respiratory disease, and neurological disorders in certain markets. The company’s products are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation, burn treatment and to prevent hemolytic diseases in the newborn.
CSL Behring operates one of the world’s largest plasma collection networks, CSL Plasma. CSL Behring is a global biopharmaceutical company and a member of the CSL Group of companies. The parent company, CSL Limited (ASX:CSL), is headquartered in Melbourne, Australia. For more information, visit http://www.cslbehring.com/.
Manager Corporate Communications