CSL CEO Says Holistic Approach to Business is Essential to Corporate Sustainability, the Company's Value Chain and Patients
The global biotherapeutics company released its 2015-2016 Corporate Responsibility Report, which details company performance in key social, environmental and economic priority areas.
KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa — 22 December 2016
CSL Limited (ASX:CSL), parent company of CSL Behring, has recorded another strong performance in corporate responsibility, outlining in its 2015/16 report the top 15 sustainability aspects important to its operations and stakeholders.
CSL Limited CEO and Managing Director Paul Perreault said the company continues to deliver on its promise to protect the health and wellbeing of people with rare and serious diseases.
“Ensuring the quality and safety of our products and therapies remains our most important sustainability asset,” Perreault said. “It is critical to our value chain and most critical to the patients that depend on them for their quality of life and, in some cases, life itself. Adopting a holistic approach to the way we conduct business is central to the execution of our strategy.”
Among other highlights, the 2015-2016 report details CSL’s innovative manufacturing approach to enhancing the safety profile of immunoglobulin products. This leading edge innovation is just one example of how CSL strives to deliver on its promise to patients. In all cases, continuous improvement across CSL’s material sustainability aspects supports the ability to sustainably deliver its objectives.
Spanning the reporting year July 2015 to June 30, 2016, CSL’s economic, social and environmental achievements and challenges include:
- Distribution of US$6 billion to local communities in the form of supplier payments, employee wages and benefits, shareholder returns and government taxes, including US$29.6 million in global community investment to patient, biomedical and local communities;
- Global workforce of 17,021 employees, with women the majority at 55%; health and safety performance saw days lost and the medical treatment incident rate reduce by 12% and 20%, respectively, last year, with no fatalities across operations;
- Research and Development investment of US$614 million with 48 clinical studies in operation across the pipeline; 24 product registrations or new indications for serious diseases in various markets, an increase of 71% over the previous year;
- 281 Good Manufacturing Practice regulatory audits of CSL’s manufacturing facilities and plasma collection centers with no impact on product marketing licenses – over the reporting period, CSL initiated three voluntary safety-related product recalls;
- Across CSL’s extensive plasma collection network, a donor survey response of 99.3% indicated a willingness to donate again.
CSL (ASX:CSL) is a leading global biotherapeutics company with a dynamic portfolio of life-saving innovations, including those that treat hemophilia and immune deficiencies, as well as vaccines to prevent influenza. Since our start in 1916, we have been driven by our promise to save lives using the latest technologies. Today, CSL — including our two businesses CSL Behring and Seqirus — conducts business in over 60 countries with more than 17,000 employees. Our unique combination of commercial strength, R&D focus and operational excellence enables us to identify, develop and deliver innovations so our patients can live life to the fullest.