CSL Behring Reinforces Global Leadership at the 17th Biennial Meeting of the European Society for Immunodeficiencies (ESID)
Company highlights 100-year history of innovation including established immunoglobulin therapies
BARCELONA, Spain — 21 September 2016
- Hizentra® - the only 20% concentration SCIG with a proven track record of safety and efficacy for over 6 years; trusted by more than 18,000 patients and providers worldwide
- Privigen® - the simple, yet sophisticated ready-to-use 10% liquid IVIG available in 5 convenient vial sizes
CSL Behring is proud to be a platinum sponsor of the 17th Biennial Meeting of the European Society for Immunodeficiencies (ESID) this week in Barcelona. During the meeting, which runs from 21-24 September, CSL Behring will host an industry symposium, showcase its broad portfolio of immunology therapies, celebrate parent company CSL’s 100th anniversary and support several scientific posters.
“CSL Behring is backed by over 100 years of dedication and a promise to help patients with rare and serious diseases,” says Dr. Debra Bensen-Kennedy, Global Therapeutic Head of Clinical Research and Development at CSL Behring. “We are proud to be delivering on that promise by supporting scientific exchange and innovation like we see here at ESID 2016. It reinforces our commitment to continuously research and build on our established portfolio to bring patients solutions that fit into their lives.”
Several posters summarizing research performed or supported by CSL Behring will be presented at the meeting, including:
- Efficacy and safety of Hizentra® in patients with PID in Japan, Europe, and the US [Stephen Jolles, et al] – This long term data comes from seven pivotal and extension trials.
- Analysis of patient treatment satisfaction from five studies of Hizentra®, a 20% subcutaneous immunoglobulin [Mikhail Rojavin, et al] – This analysis shows improvement in patient treatment satisfaction (and long term maintenance of this satisfaction) upon switching from intravenous to subcutaneous Ig therapy.
- CHINSTRAP: Czech Hizentra non-INterventional STudy with RApid Push [Anna Sediva, et al] – This study, by Czeck investigator Anna Sediva, analyzed administration of Hizentra by manual push, an additional option of individualized SCIG therapy.
- Correlation between efficacy of the intravenous immunoglobulin preparation IgPro 10 and IgG plasma concentrations achieved in secondary immunodeficiencies (SID) [Marcel Reiser, et al] – This multi-center observational study focused on infections in patients with secondary immunodeficiency.
Additionally, the CSL Behring-sponsored “The Lung in Primary Immunodeficiencies: New Concepts in Infection and Inflammation” symposium [22 September, 18:15-19:45] focused on the role immunodeficiencies play in the lungs will be chaired by Stephen Jolles and include insights from Ulrich Baumann, Pere Soler-Palacin, and John Routes. Topics include:
- Immunity/immunodeficiency of the respiratory system
- Assessment of the lung in primary immunodeficiency (PID)
- Respiratory infections in PID: the serious acute and the subclinical chronic
- Non-infectious pulmonary complication in PID: How can we treat?
About Primary and Secondary Immunodeficiencies
Immunodeficiencies constitute a group of more than 150 diseases that affect the cells, tissues and proteins of the immune system. In people with primary or secondary immunodeficiency, certain components of the immune system are either absent or functioning inadequately, leaving them more susceptible to infection. In children, especially, infections may not improve with treatment as expected and may keep returning. As a result, patients may face repeated rounds of antibiotics and hospitalization for treatment. Repeated infections can lead to organ damage, which, over time, can become life threatening.
Hizentra (Immune Globulin Subcutaneous [Human]), the first 20 percent SCIg developed for subcutaneous use, is approved in North America, Europe and Japan. Hizentra is indicated for the treatment of patients with primary immunodeficiency, and contraindicated in individuals with a history of anaphylactic or severe systemic response to immune globulin preparations or components of Hizentra, and in persons with selective immunoglobulin A deficiency who have known antibody against IgA and a history of hypersensitivity. In all 29 European/European Economic Area member states and Japan, Hizentra is authorized for treating patients diagnosed with PI as well as secondary immunodeficiencies. For more information, including full Summary of Product Characteristics, visit http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/medicines/human/medicines/002127/human_med_001440.jsp
Privigen is the first and only 10 percent, ready to use, room-temperature stored, liquid IVIG stabilized with proline, a naturally occurring amino-acid. It is available in over 70 countries around the world and is used as replacement therapy for patients with primary and secondary immunodeficiencies, and as an immunomodulatory therapy for patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpure (ITP), neurological disorders, such as chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathies (CIDP), Guillain-Barré syndrome, and Kawasaki disease. For more information, including full Summary of Product Characteristics, visit http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/medicines/human/medicines/000831/human_med_000993.jsp
About CSL Behring
CSL Behring is a global biotherapeutics leader which is driven by its promise to save lives. Focused on serving patients’ needs by using the latest technologies, we develop and deliver innovative therapies that are used to treat coagulation disorders, primary immune deficiencies, hereditary angioedema, inherited respiratory disease, and neurological disorders. The company's products are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation, burn treatment and to prevent hemolytic disease of the newborn.
CSL Behring operates one of the world's largest plasma collection networks, CSL Plasma. The parent company, CSL Limited (ASX:CSL), headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, employs more than 16,000 people with operations in more than 30 countries. For more information visit www.cslbehring.com and follow us on www.Twitter.com/CSLBehring.
Office: +1 610 878 4802
Mobile: +1 610 306 9355